Saturday, April 4, 2009

ENDLESS BLUE




When I die, I don't want to go to Heaven. I want to go to a Blue Hole.

These are sand bars in the middle of the ocean. They are usually only accesible by boat. You sail out there, wait until your depth finder starts reading five feet or less, then drop anchor. You usually spot them from far away, since their color is lighter and bluer/greener than the surrounding ocean. At low tide they can actually be knee-deep only. You just park the boat on the edge (unless you want it grounded!) and jump overboard.

It's like having your own personal salt water pool. And since they are only accessible by boat, you don't have too much company most times. Perfect for that clothing-free swimming experience! All-over tans are a good thing!

I have my favorite spots. Bahia Honda State Park has some terrific blue holes on the ocean side, within sight of the old bridge. Marathon has a couple too. One of my favorites is Molasses Keys, which are two tiny mangrove islands off the Seven Mile Bridge. Between the two keys is an amazing blue hole with a great area to walk or snorkel. Another favorite is off the channel markers oceanside in front of a huge mansion in the Cocoplum area of Marathon. Again, quite secluded: you usually have the place to yourself.

The best part of all? You can be in the water, having fun, or you can be in the boat, eating, drinking and enjoying the view.

1 comment:

JS said...

Again, I wish I was there! It is snowing here again....... JS