Friday, September 17, 2010

A LOT OF TIME TO REFLECT...




Life in pseudo-Paradise has been extraordinarily quiet and busy at the same time. The big bad city is just that-big and bad, so I try not to mingle on the outside too much except occasional forays to the beach and down to Paradise again. I've been working a lot lately (nothing new), doing a lot of writing outside this blog and FINALLY getting my house in order (literally and figuratively!) HB's big house was a train wreck of excess furniture, old papers, countless bric-a-brac, and then MY stuff comes in too! I could just see the camera crew from "Hoarders" just jockeying for space on the front lawn! But finally, after all this time, the excess is almost gone, the house is falling into shape and it looks like a place normal people live in. All our stuff is integrated, rearranged, displayed, dusted and organized. No small feat, I tell you!

HB has been away for a few weeks and the house is quiet and neat. I miss him, but we're in constant contact, and it's given me time to do all this extra work without interruption. He hasn't seen the final results and I'm hoping he's happy with it. The TeenQueen was here for an extended vacation (winter break from school--yes WINTER in South America!). She came in pasty and left gloriously tanned. We managed to steal away to Daytona Beach for a week of fun in the sun and nothing but beachtime and trashy novels and junk food and catching up with old friends. Lovely time for both of us, and HB and his son, who joined us later in the week for the traditional shucking of the bushel of oysters. A trip to Daytona Beach isn't complete without the oyster celebration!

I've managed to get down to the Keys several times, not enough for my taste, but I got there. Did the usual-hang out with friends, Tranquility Bay, beach, etc. Lobster season started, but since HB's not here to clean the pesky critters, I'm not indulging. When he gets back, we'll get a sackful of them and celebrate. Some things are not the same when done alone. And with him, the whole lobster thing is a production in itself.

FantasyFest is around the corner, and it looks like HB will be home by that time, so I've gotten the green light for our attendance this year. Again, no costuming, just hanging out and good times. I just have to start touching base with people and see what their plans are. I was hoping not to miss it this year, and circumstances came through!

This year I'm actually looking forward to the holidays. Last year was such a disaster, between homes, TeenQueen gone, HB in Miami, working......just shitty all around. This year I'm settled. I want a tree. I want all my christmas ornaments up and displayed. I want to sit down to Christmas dinner with my new adopted family (they adopted me or did I adopt them? ) I want the holidays to be everything it wasn't this year or the year before (another crappy holiday, but for different reasons!) In fact, I was even thinking of putting up the tree early....like next week. Oh hell, why not? Wouldn't be the first time it goes up early or comes down months later..... I'm looking forward to cooler weather, opening up the windows in this big old house, being able to enjoy the large balcony upstairs in the afternoon, having dinner outside in the outdoor patio without wilting.

I am looking forward to many things in the near future . I think a lot of things are looking up again.

When you spend any amount of time alone, you reflect on things and it forces some perspective on a lot of situations. I've come to realize that I am where I am, with whom I am, and it's ok. I may be out of Paradise, but I carry the attitude around with me. Nothing can take away the fact that I lived it, loved it, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

And that's always something to shoot for!

2 comments:

spg said...

So your're saying paradise is a state of mind?
I agree. But it's also nice to physically visit it poolside at Tranquility Bay!
Count me in on Fantasyfest...

Unknown said...

I thought that I was the only one who put the tree up WAY too early and took it down WAY too late. Most of the times, the Christmas lights stay stapled up on the house too. I haven't read much on the blogs due an injury to my hand/wrist and wouldn't have been able to resist typing a response..