Tuesday, March 11, 2008

DELUSIONAL PARASITOSIS

Do you believe you have little worms crawling under your skin? Do you see them coming out of sores in your body? Do they look like little colored fibers and itch and drive you nuts?

Had a patient in the triage area with these symptoms. Kept saying, "look, there they are" while she scratched her skin raw. Didn't see a thing. Just another nut in the nutbowl, right?

So I presumed.

Bedbugs, scabies, narcotics withdrawal, delusional parasitosis, just plain kookoo.....all plausible explanations.

Then I stumble, days later upon a medical journal with an article on Morgellan's disease, which manifests all the above-mentioned symptoms. Even the CDC has a website addressing the issue.

I hope I washed my hands well that day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had a patient similar to that come into the office. She had a body wide mess of scars and sores that were angry and weeping. I prescribed just about every med I could think of. I took a skin biopsy and nothing came back except for skin inflammation. Duh? I started googling just to come up with ANY ideas.. One popped up that I preyed was wrong. Colon cancer. Yes, it sometimes manifests itself as a skin rash. She cried when I told her that I didn't think that she was crazy like all of the other doctors did. Sent for a colonoscopy and there it was. Sad. Several years were wasted.