Sunday, September 7, 2008


When faced with personal and property danger and the possibility for catastrophe, what does Papi decide to do?


His rationale: Get everyone together, create some good energy, give thanks for all our blessings and perhaps reunite us one last time before we have to scatter to the four winds and evacuate Paradise.

So last night we had turkey with all the fixings, a Cuban roast pork, just a ton of food. We laughed for awhile, all knowing in the back of our heads: "We might not do this again under this roof for awhile, if ever again." Even as the storm shifted south to Cuba overnight, the mandatory evacuations are still in place this morning. The authorities are not taking ANY chances. It's still a Category 4 hurricane and one little wobble to the north and the lower Keys will take a hit.

Am I going? I'm going to watch the advisories today. Get the shutters in place. Prepare the house. Watch for Jim Cantore in the neighborhood and determine wind speed and direction from his hair flow. And the 2AM advisory will be the decision-maker. That way, I avoid the evacuation traffic during the day, it gives me time to prepare, and we'll still make it out on time. Anyway, I'd rather make the trip at night. Daytona Beach is 7 hours away!

And it gives me time to get rid of the leftovers from the Thanksgiving meal!

Thanks to all for your prayers and good wishes. I will keep you posted on what's going on.


jeepgirl said...

Hang in there... as always we are thinking of you all. BE SAFE no matter what you do.

JS said...

you are making me hungry. JS